Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Peppers, Sweet Onions and Balsamic Vinegar2014-10-04
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- ¼ cup course kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 8-ounce pork chops
- 2 sweet onions cut in 1/8ths
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra- virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (preferably one red and one yellow), seeded, cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 pickled cherry peppers from jar; 4 seeded and thinly sliced, 4 left whole for garnish
- Aged balsamic vinegar (or substitute balsamic reduction)
- First brine the pork in a salt-sugar-water solution. Whisk ½ cup coarse kosher salt, ¼ cup sugar, and 8 cups water in large bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add pork chops. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning pork chops occasionally.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat; add the onions and cook until tender and browned in spots, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer onions and oil to a medium bowl. Increase heat to high and heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet. Add bell peppers and red onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add crushed red pepper and 1 teaspoon honey.; season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetable are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserve onions and slice cherry peppers. Cover and keep warm. This can be done 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.
- Prepare barbecue (high heat). Remove pork chops from brine; pat dry. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Brush with oil. Grill until grill marks appear and pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place 1 pork chop on each plate.; spoon bell pepper mixture over; drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish each plate with whole cherry pepper.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve over stone ground white grits or polenta
- Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit – April 2011 issue – 4